Everyone does this at least once in their lives, and that is moving house.
It’s expensive as well as extremely time consuming. In my life, so far I have
moved a grand total of 18 times. That number may seem staggering to most,
and it is. The one benefit of moving this many times is all the little tips and
tricks I have picked up through each move.
Even the smallest things can really help you when you are short of time and energy.Energy that I am just now recouping after our stressful move. Not only
did things go terribly wrong in the middle of this move, but it was storming as well.
Some of our things were stolen during the first day. On the second day there was a gas leaknear our new place; causing the roads to be closed to the area. This of course
caused us to stay an extra night at our old house. This was definitely one of the
hardest moves I’ve ever done. I will lost a few tips below that have helped me get
- Always pre-plan what to pack first
- Get heaps of boxes, packing tape, and bubble wrap
- What items you are not currently using? Pack them first
- Hire movers for larger items to minimise chance of injury
- When one room is finished move items/boxes to one area
so you can clean as you go
- Schedule Utilities to be turned on at your new house before
you arrive (up to 2 weeks ahead of the move)
- Write labels legibly for each box with a brief
- description of what is inside
- Have a one day buffer to move in case something comes up
- Keep a suitcase or gym bag with clothes/items you will need for
the next 1-3 days while you’re moving
- Stay positive and don’t let the stress of moving get to you